As the weather cools and autumn makes its presence known, Kona has really come into her element. This is the weather she was bred for and she is loving it. While P or I might be chilled by the cooler temperatures and / or damp rainy days, Kona is a happy pup any time she gets to go outside. And we can’t keep her out of water (puddles, pools, you name it).
Mornings at the dog park are invaluable. She has a blast and we have a rather sedate puppy at the end of the day.
Commands she knows well:
- Stay (up to 1 min, with rewards every 20-25 seconds)
- Leave it
- Drop it
- Take it
- Go to bed
- Okay (permission to move / eat)
- Go sniff (to release her from heel)
- Shake (shakes her right paw)
- Paw (shakes her left paw)
- Circle (turning clockwise)
- Around (turning counter-clockwise)
- Touch (a game where she move around the room and she touches our right hand with her nose each time we say ‘touch’. So much fun!!!)
- Waiting at open doors / gates
Commands she is good, but not great at:
- Watch (a focus command where she cannot look away from us) – she’s getting better at this one
- Sitting when on a walk and the leash leader stops walking.
- Come – still needs work when distractions or temptations are present.
- Inside (used instead of ‘come’ when we want her to come into the house instead of continuing to play)
Commands that are new and/or need work:
- Play Dead / Bang
- Park it (lying down on her dog bed)
On Sunday Kona weighed in at 53 lbs, so only a gain of 3 lbs in the past month.